Monday, 9 March 2015

Rear end and more odd jobs

Wow, it's been over a month since my last update! Time flies when you're having fun :-)

First, I've stripped the engine of accessories, loom, puleys, etc. this is partly to make it possible to install the engine into the car, partly because I don't some of the accessories (aircon and heater are gone), partly because I wanted to clean it up (not that is was very dirty, as it is so new anyway), and finally because it was scaring me! I thought, what have I taken on! There is so much cabling, pipes, etc. nothing like the VW beetle engines we used to play with when I was a young bloke.


So, taking it mostly apart has given back my confidence. It's not so scary once you tame it a bit.



I took a tip from an LS forum and bought a small $10 hand pump pressure pack to squirt water to remove the degreaser. It is not as clumsy as a high pressure washer or hose, so less risk of getting water where you don't want it.


With the diff, I cleaned it the same way. Then I filed of the rough casting burrs to make it look neater. Finally, I gave it a coat or three of silver engine enamel so it looks brand new now.

I've been looking at ways to reroute the loom, or cover the coil packs, and think I might leave them and just look for a nice cover. Something different though. Not your typical HSV cover or those fibreglass spray paint units. Mmmm.

Received all my parts so I could install the diff and finish the rear suspensions and axles. So that's basically done now too.



Installed the pedal box assembly, and also ordered a nice billet brake/clutch reservoir from the U.S. And fabricated some panels so I could mount that.


The kit uses the donor GM fly-by-wire unit with a bell crank and pushrod assembly to leverage the new Tilton pedals.





No comments: