Saturday, 2 May 2015

Engine Installed

Massive milestone!

This weekend I installed the engine and gearbox. I managed to do the bulk of this on my own - with the help of good tools of course! The final stages I did need help (thanks Simon) in order to lower and caress the engine into position while manhandling the rear of the gearbox into the trans tunnel rear. The gearbox and engine are bolted together prior to installation, hence making it a little more tricky than usual.




I encountered a few obstacles that had to be overcome. First was the VF L77 engine comes complete with a clutch pulley setup on the alternator, which is very nice, but unfortunately about 10mm too long to fit due to a chassis strut. I managed to obtain a replacement standard pulley wheel from my local autoelec that solved hat problem.

Before (with engine raised so I could trial fit the alternator - I can't lower it 'cause it would foul on that chassis member).

After (with smaller pulley, albeit not a clutch pulley).


The second problem was the gearbox mount required me to modify the trans tunnel floor and remove about 50mm of material so the steel mount bracket could be installed.



I previously acquired and installed a shifter adapter so I could relocate the gear lever to the forward mount position on the TR6060 gearbox. This Core Hurst shifter offers a fantastic short throw, positive feel with good centering that compliments the already decent performance of the Tremec.








Finally I installed the tailshaft that has a flange mount both ends to an aluminium billet adapter. Now that was fun, as access was extremely tight!


All done!




No comments: